Thursday, August 7, 2008

Transition

I suppose life is full of them. Transitions, I mean.

Yesterday, I had a long talk with a dear friend of mine (ahem...Colleen...) about how it feels to move to a new place and start over from scratch. She recently moved to a large city with no family nearby. My brother and his family just moved to a different state, started a new job, and bought a house. I know so many people who are in transition. Even Jeff and I decided to join the transition club and move to Temple, TX. I've heard it prophesied many times that "2008 will be the year of NEW BEGINNINGS," - I just didn't realize until recently how true that is.

Granted, some transitions are more drastic than others - but, I think that any time you are in transition, whether it be starting a new job or moving to a foreign country, the tendency is to get stuck in comparison. And comparison often leads to complaining...

One of my personal goals is to, as I say it, "be wherever I am 110%." Meaning, if I'm in a conversation with someone, I try my hardest to focus on the person and what they're saying. I obviously have a long way to go on this, but that's why it is a goal. If any of you have worked with youth or college, you know how challenging that can be! (If any of you have ever had a toddler you understand even better!)

We live in such a multi-tasking society. We can drive to the mall, listen to the radio, send out a few dozen texts, corral the kids, and still somehow manage to function.

But, the challenge I'm striving for is that I can be 110% engaged in whatever I'm focusing on. Be 110% devoted to the situation I'm in. Whether that means really getting to know the 75 year old grandmother in my church, who is rather difficult to understand, but brimming over with wisdom and humor or simply settling it in my heart that I AM in the midst of a transition and I might as well work each day with what I've been given, instead of wishing things were as they were, or just wishing things would move a bit faster. 110%. Philippians describes it as "being content whatever the circumstances." I think Paul was onto something there.

Sometimes it's easy to focus so much on the transition, and totally lose sight of the joys of each day. To focus on what is seen, rather than on what is unseen and have a heavenly mindset and "heart-set." So, I'll keep working on the 110% goal. I guess that means I should wrap this up now and focus 110% on starting dinner...

-------------------------------

And for those of you who haven't seen the swanky brown hair metamorphosis, here's a somewhat clear pic of it:



And, today is a very special day for my nephew...
HAPPY 5th BIRTHDAY LUKE!!!! Here are a few pictures for you!








7 comments:

Colleen said...

You are such a wise and caring friend! I loved what you had to say yesterday on the phone and today on your blog. You always cheer me up! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that you have a blog. It is so great to be able to read and see what is going on in your life even though you are much farther away from me now. I have been thinking of starting one of these to (since everyone is in a different city now!) but I just haven't found the time. Maybe one day soon. I can't believe how big Gabe has gotten and I totally love your new hair color it looks fabulous on you!!

Love you and can't wait to read more about the way God is moving in and through you and your wonderful fam!

Miss you guys! Give Gabe a hug and a kiss for me!

Sorry this got so long!

Love ya-Riss

MikeandCharlsie said...

So glad ya'll have a blog!! Now we can see pics even from far away!!! I love what you have to say about 110% What a wonderful reminder, I sure need to hear it. We love you all!

Tom Richards, aka OldWeirdDad said...

Hey, Jeff and Kelli - I just found your blog thru Colleen. Yes, a lot of people are in some kind of move or transition in 2008. We started moving in May of 2007 and just recently finished up - in 2008. Does that count? Might be a Guiness item, "Longest Move in History." Past moves were easier. I was younger and had plenty of slave labor. Now I am in the early phases of old cogerdom, and all the slaves have left home.

As you guys write new music, you should put the audio on your blog. Then we could learn the songs to do at Impact. You guys are so talented. You make me sick.

Tom Richards

Greg R. said...

Kelli, the 110% thing applies to your driving as well ok? FOCUS and pick a lane.


JK :)

The Clifton's said...

Yeah you did it! Love the hair. I think your blog needs more pictures of Gabe. We want more Gabe....we want more Gabe and so on. All our love!

Holly Heston said...

Well said....Kelli Gossman! That is exactly what I need to be doing. Giving 110% to where I am in the moment. Having an 8 month old who has just become mobile is forcing me to do that with her....but in all situations. Thank you for that word, friend!